A month and a week into winter and we’ve been bludgeoned by 7 snowstorms. Record accumulations. Headline clean-up catastrophes. Headline clean-up triumphs. Temperatures at historic lows. A persistent winter wonderland.
There’s another storm raging outside my living room window. The snow sits so heavily on bare branches that the wailing winds can’t budge them. Yes, if there was ever a January to ignore the world and cozy up in front of the fire with someone cuddly, January 2011 has been the January for it. But the novelty of mornings spent shoveling followed by afternoons spent snowshoeing, has worn off. After 7 snow storms, I’ve had enough of winter. I’m over cozy. Give me sunny.
I’ve been looking at pictures of my last trips to Cozumel and Cuba, longing for a beach. To get me through another icy day locked at home, I’ve assembled a summery, sing-alongable playlist that will hopefully get me through another snow day:
- We Gotta Get Out of This Place by The Animals — There’s a blizzard. It’s below freezing. Get me outta here. nuff said.
- Mercy by Duffy — These snowflakes have me begging the weather gods for mercy.
- Temperature by Sean Paul — please, give me some place (or someone) with the right mercury reading to shelter me from the storm.
- July, July by The Decemberists– It’s mostly because of the title, but the fact it’s a great sing-along song doesn’t hurt either.
- Louie, Louie by Chuck Berry — There’s something about Chuck Berry that always makes me think convertibles, flip-flops, and summer nights.
- Brazil by Pink Martini — Smooth and jazzy, a song about June moons and exotic love. Yes, please.
All I Wanna Do by Sheryl Crow — …is have some fun. Hypothermia is not fun.
- Pacific Coast Party by Smashmouth — Smashmouth always provides the quintessential summer soundtrack. This is a song about California, California sun, and California parties. It’s 40 degrees warmer in California.
- Someone to Call my Lover by Janet Jackson — Carefree Janet
- Alejandro by Lady Gaga — What’s a playlist without a little Gaga? And when vacations are on the brain, there’s nothing like daydreams about a Spanish lover to take you far, far, away. A winter wonderland doesn’t stand a chance.